We are worshiping together, in new ways!
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all St. John’s activities are taking place online. For everyone’s safety, there are no in-person activities at church at this time. To find out more about current children and youth activities, please email Heather Miller.
St. John’s is a part of the Beloved Community of God’s people across time and space. Our mission statement captures our primary values: We celebrate the gift of Christian community and welcome all, without distinction, to share the joy and pain of life’s passages. We commit ourselves to personal and spiritual maturity, both traditional and innovative worship, the healthy nurturing of children, and reaching out, beyond the Church, seeking Christ in all persons. We are a community exploring Jesus’ Way of Love, which centers on spiritual practice, going deeper in our faith, and expressing that faith in love of our neighbors. Children & youth are a vibrant and essential part of our community and ministry. In our welcoming and socially conscious environment, we help children and youth to fulfill our baptismal covenant, which includes seeking and serving Christ in all persons and striving for justice and peace among all people.
We encourage lifestyles involving practice, falling down, getting up and deepening in experience of Gods healing, liberating, justice-making love. As children and teens participate from birth through high school, our hoped for outcomes—aligned with church values—for what they know, do and be include:
- KNOW | Children and teens learn who our loving God is through scripture stories, Episcopal tradition, and experiences within community.
- DO | Children and teens engage in opportunities to integrate their faith through action and understand how Jesus’ Way of Love impacts daily life.
- BE | Children and youth welcome all people as created in God’s image and begin to live into who they are created to be through meaningful relationships with peers, adults, LGBTQ+, BIPOC, and the earth.
- Birth | Baptism
- Age 3 | Entering Sunday School
- Grade 5/6 | Entering Youth Group + Becoming Acolyte
- Grades 7/8 | Pilgrimage Preparation + Trip
- Grade 10/11 | Confirmation
- Grade 11/12 | Centennial Fund
Weekly on Sundays
(from mid-September to mid-May)
- Grades 5-8 | Students meet on Zoom every other Sunday 6:30p – 7:15p for connection and game before splitting into 5/6 and 7/8 for a foundations of faith “TED talk” and discussion. Over 2 years students learn the arch of God’s story and where they fit as well as learning to love others as God loves them.
- Grades 9-10 | Students meet every other Sunday 11:45a – 12:45p on Zoom to prepare for Pilgrimage by learning different methods of Scripture reading, prayer and community-building. They name, research and wrestle with their questions about faith which culminates in a rite of passage to the pilgrimage destination of their choice — Ireland.
- Grades 11-12 | Students meet every other Sunday 11:45a – 12:45p on Zoom with members from the Centennial Fund for Social Justice to build relationships with different organizations focused on mental health, systemic racism, and environmental justice. They solicit grant proposals, evaluate them, and disburse money from the fund to worthwhile causes as St. John’s seeks to use its privilege to make the world a more equitable and just place.
Monthly / Quarterly
(from mid-September to mid-May)
- Parents | Parents meet quarterly on a Sunday evening on Zoom for connection, support, and to discuss how to talk about and live out faith at home.
- Youth Outdoor Gathering | Students meet together to explore how faith impacts daily life — through serving and engaging with people and organizations in Minneapolis, playing and resting as spiritual practice, etc.
- Intergenerational | All ages meet quarterly on Sundays 10:00a-10:20a on Zoom for breakouts getting to know others in the St. John’s community and celebrating liturgical day or season.
- Confirmation T.B.D.
- Pilgrimage Consecration Event October 25
- All Saints Intergenerational Event November 1
- Pilgrimage Wreath Fundraiser November 1-29
- Advent Intergenerational Event November 29
- Epiphany Intergenerational Event January 3
- Winter Youth Day Retreat January 18
- Lent Intergenerational Event February 21
- Easter Intergenerational Event April 11
- TEC & PreTEC retreats T.B.D.
- Spring Pilgrimage Fundraiser T.B.D.
- Honoring high school graduates June 6
- Pilgrimage Trip T.B.D.
Fall Zoom Programs
CLICK HERE FOR A PDF OF OUR FALL PROGRAMS