St. John’s leadership recently conducted a short survey asking people about your experience of our online worship, and we are grateful that many people responded. Here is what we learned:
- A sizeable number of people do use and value our online worship service options
- About two thirds of the people responding said they thought our current livestream worship service works, even though the technological quality isn’t great
- Most people think we should invest to improve the quality of our services: a majority suggests modest investment, and a strong minority would prefer significant financial outlays to improve our technological quality
Based on this emerging consensus that we need to continue to provide and to improve our online worship offerings, you should know that we have already made, or are in process of making, the following technological investments thanks to the generosity of St. John’s donors:
- New projector and screen in both sanctuary and parish hall
- Greatly improved lighting around the altar
- Pending project to install fiber optic cables, significantly improve our bandwidth and move to digital phone systems (which should be completed by some time in November)
Based on your feedback, we are also looking into technology that would improve the quality of our in-person and livestreamed audio (including for the hearing impaired), and provide greater and more flexible video abilities as well.
Thank you so much for your ongoing feedback about our online worship offerings. In today’s hybrid and digital environment, we want to make the love of God in Christ as it is expressed in the St. John’s community accessible even to those who have not stepped through our beautiful red doors.